South Sydney will take no action against back rower Ben Te’o after allegations of domestic violence were made against him by Brisbane woman who will be the subject of a Channel 9 interview later tonight.
The incident is alleged to have occurred on Friday the 19th of April after the Australia vs New Zealand test match in Canberra. News Limited is reporting that Te’o and Boyd visited the Brisbane home of Corey Norman where the alleged incident took place.
It is alleged that Newcastle fullback Darius Boyd and Brisbane utility Corey Norman both witnessed the incident. News Limited is reporting that Norman contacted Police on 000.
Ben Te’o released this statement to the media a short time ago:
I wish to make the following statement in relation to rumours circulating about an incident which occurred approximately one month ago in Brisbane.
I am making this statement on the understanding that a television network intends to broadcast a story this evening which does not give a true account of the incident.
I have not provided a statement to this network in response to the story.
I understand that the news story contains a claim by a female that I was involved in an altercation with her at a house in Brisbane.
I have not been informed of the exact nature of the news story, however I am able to refute entirely any suggestion that I acted improperly.
On the night in question, I found myself in unfortunate circumstances that were not caused by me and I acted appropriately to deal with a difficult situation.
I called the police to report the incident and have the female removed from the house.
I have not pressed charges against the female and to the best of my knowledge no charges have been laid against me.
I don’t wish to go into any further detail about this matter because I regard the incident as unfortunate and something I wish to leave behind me.
I have offered my co-operation to the Police, the NRL integrity unit, my Club and other authorities to ensure that this matter is dealt with in the appropriate way.
To this point I have not had any contact from the Police since their attendance at the house, and neither my management nor my Club have had any contact from the Police or the female at the centre of this news story.
Accordingly I have no further comment to make at this stage.
At this stage no charges have been laid against To’e or the woman involved. Police are the only people that can press charges in Australia, individuals can not press charges. So right now this is all in the hands of the police.
Because of that it seems that South Sydney are willing to leave it with Police and until any charges are laid they are happy for life to go on as though nothing happened.
Last week I was made aware that a picture was being sent around allegedly showing a women with a black eye that she received from an NRL player. I never saw this picture, but told those talking about it, repeatedly, to take the picture to the police. This wasn’t a story, this was a young woman’s life I was concerned about.
It seems that Channel 9 managed to get an interview with the woman in the pictures and that is the only reason why all of this is coming out.
Think about that for a moment…
If this wasn’t going to come out in a Channel 9 interview….would we have seen any action taken against Te’o? This picture is obviously doing the rounds in Rugby League. Why have they taken only action NOW rather than when they originally found out about the incident? Why didn’t they address this as soon as they become aware that something had happened?
We are only a few days out from finishing Women In League round where the NRL and its clubs told us how much the respect the contributions of women to the game of Rugby League. I wrote last week that I believe Women In League round is a load of bullshit. Incidents like this solidify my opinion.
I’m not going to be the judge, jury and executioner. The Police need to be allowed to do their job.
I will say this…
It does nothing for South Sydney or Ben Te’o to have this hanging over their head right now. Surely the best thing to do is stand Te’o down as the investigation continues. There is no harm in standing Te’o down. I’m sure the last thing he needs is to become a target on the field and in the face of the media by continuing to be a part of the South Sydney Rabbitohs team right now.
Once again, Rugby League has circled the wagons when it comes to an allegation of domestic violence against a player.
Women in League……yeah right……
A well known Rugby League writer, League Freak has established a reputation among supporters of the game for his fearless commentary and unmatched insight. With a reach that spans both sides of the globe, League Freak has produced an independent network that allows him to distribute content to his many thousands of followers. He is the owner and main author of LeagueFreak.com
Nov 16, 2020 0
Nov 06, 2020 0
Nov 02, 2020 0